One of my favorite media applications to date is Boxee. While I was sitting on my couch one day watching some Rev3 shows, on Boxee, I wanted to turn up the volume a bit. Like many people with a lot of gadgets in their living room I couldn’t find the remote. It was the little apple remote for my mac mini which is what I run boxee on, which is connected to my HD TV. Easy to lose in the couch or under a table, etc. Like many Geeks, I think, I tend to watch TV with my laptop nearby. So I often end up launching screen sharing on my laptop to control the mac mini, a bit of overkill I thought. I went searching for a widget remote control for Boxee that I could run and do simple things like navigate and turn up the volume. I couldn’t find one. Which leads me to the creation of this page and its contents. Since I couldn’t find one, I decided to make one figuring I may not be the only one who might want this.
So here it is.
I built in some simple media controls: pause, stop, skip ahead, skip back.
As well as volume and navigation controls.
You must have the web server enabled in order for it to work. As well as be connected to the same network as the machine running Boxee. You’ll also need the Host Name of your computer running Boxee as well as the port the web server uses if it is not the standard 8800.
Download Widget v1.4 – OSX
*Windows users can install kludgets and run the widget until the native win gadget is complete.
- Added mute to the \ key.
- Added support for Plex.
- Added display of what is currently playing.
- Currently playing item links to amazon.
- Added full keyboard support for virtual keyboard situations. Just start typing when you need to search or when a virtual keyboard appears.
- Fixed volume control action to show volume changes on screen.
- Added volume controls to left and right brackets.
- [ - Lower Volume
- ] – Raise Volume
- Added key press support for Navigation (arrows), Select (enter), Play/Pause (spacebar) and Back (esc).
- Checks for updates automatically
- Auto Boxee Discovery (need some help with port programing integration with widgets)
- Native Windows Gadget
The Boxee Remote Widget is offered for Free under a CC License.
Recently I began my first attempt at NaNoWrimo and I’m loving it so far. I enjoyed looking at the daily stats online but wanted the quick and easy functionality of a widget for something like this. So I created one to display your word count and simple stats. If you enjoy it please let me know. Also let me know what other things you would like to see in it. I’ll try to get around to expanding it, if I’m not behind in my word count.